Administrator's note: Much of this article was taken from the book Louisa and her Lake, by Herb Montgomery.
There is a long history of Anglican worship in the community of Louisa including some before there was a church building. We have some relevant information garnered from the Diocesan Archives in Montréal, which gives us an idea of early worship patterns in this area.
A record of 1820 indicates a “Deanery of St. Andrews” and a “Parish of North Gore.”
In 1838 the Reverend Wm. Arnold appears to be in charge of missions at Lakefield, Dunany, Shrewsbury and Louisa. At the 35th session of Synod in 1894, the Reverend A.B.Givens of St. Simeons, Lachute, was acknowledged to have charges at Wentworth and Louisa. Prior to and after 1894 we have excerpts from minute books of St. Simeons, Lachute, and from history records which reveal a pattern of development.
1885 – Services held in Lachute, Louisa, New Ireland, Glen of Harrington, Arundel, Rockaway and Ponsonby.
1891 – The Baptists have been making efforts to gain an entrance to the Louisa district.
1892 – Average attendance, 40. Morning and evening services at St. Simeons, 3 p.m. Sunday services at Louisa.
1893 – In May, one acre of land procured from John Neill in Louisa. $500.00 raised in cash, lumber and work in Louisa. $500.00 raised by the incumbent, Rev. Givens, outside the mission, which includes a grant of £25 from S.P.C.K. (the Society for the A wooden building with stone foundation was soon brought to completion. Workers on the job included Messrs. Joss, Brothers and Builders.
1895 – July 3, St. Aidans was consecrated by the Lord Bishop of Montréal being free of all indebtedness. The Bishop consecrated the burial ground. It is to be much hoped that the dear old church may always have a firm root in this settlement and that the neighbourhood may never experience the bitterness and shallowness of sectarianism.
(The spelling of this last word was unclear in the document, and it differed from what is written above, but the author felt that the word “sectarianism” portrayed the idea).
The History of the Counties Argenteuil, Québec, Prescott, Ontario by C. Thomas, under a section on the community of Louisa reports on the building of the church as follows: An Anglican Church was erected in this locality in 1894, at an expense of $1,000, which has been fully paid. George Seale, James Morrison and Robert Rowe formed the building committee, and subscribed very liberally toward defraying the expense of its erection. All who took an active interest in the work were also liberal subscribers.
Religious services of other denominations are occasionally held here in the schoolhouse.
Originally the entrance to the church was on the road side of the building. This apparently became a problem, because it was difficult to manipulate the caskets into the building and over the pews to the altar. This was solved when the entrance was changed to the end of the building.
The cemetery records, according to Elaine Smith, show that the first person buried here was Arthur Curran, age 37, in 1890.
St. Aidan’s was never able to support a full time priest but was well served by many capable ministers over the years from parishes in Lachute and Lakefield.
On July 1, 1919, St. Aidan’s was formally made a part of the Parish of Lakefield which then included churches at Shrewsbury and Dunany.
Later - St. Aidan’s became part of the Greater Parish of St. Andrew with the mother church being St. Simeon’s in Lachute and other associated churches being Holy Trinity, Lakefield, Christ Church, Mille Isles, St. John’s, Shrewsbury, and St. Paul’s, Dunany.
2010 - St. Aidan’s became part of The Parish of the Lower Laurentians in the Laurentian Deanery and the Archdeaconry of St. Andrews in the Diocese of Montreal. This historic parish is located in the lower Laurentians and includes a large portion of the County of Argenteuil; in particular, the communities of Gore (Dunany and Lakefield), Mille-Isles, and Wentworth (Louisa and Dunany).